More and more research is coming out of the datas collected at Haydom and Muhibili. There is a much interest in the study and the results, so 2015 has been a busy year for the researchers.This week at one of the largest medical conferences in the world the World Congress of Gynaecology and Obstetrics FIGO 2015 in Vancouver Canada, two of the Safer Births PhD Fellows are giving oral presentations on their recent findings.
The room was completely full yesterday 6th october when Dr. Paschal Mdoe presented the preliminary results from the Randomized controlled study comparing hand held doppler and Pinard Fetoscope for fetal heart rate monitoring in Tanzania.
It was fascinating to hear that the results from the rural hospital Haydom Lutheran Hospital and the Urban hospital Muhimbili National Hopital were different and it will be interesting to learn more about why in the final analysis and futur studies.
On Thursday morning 8th October Dr. Jørgen Linde will do a presentation called Heart Rate detection in “Fresh stillbirths” and Early Neonatal Deaths during Resuscitation – What is the true stillbirth rate?
This study is based on the data collected with the newborn resucitation monitor using dry electrodes on the abdomen of the newborn to detect the heart rate immediately after birth.
But this is not the first conference this year where the Safer Births Researchers have been active.
In March at the 9th Annual Global Health and Vaccination Research Conference (GLOBVAC) in Oslo the Safer Births group had five poster and one oral presentation. Then at the high-light of the year, The Pediatric Academic Society (PAS) in San Diego, there were also five poster presentations from the group
- Randomized controlled study comparing handheld Doppler and Pinard Fetoscope for fetal heart rate monitoring in Tanzania. Mdoe P, Mduma E, Ersdal H, Moshiro R, Perlman J, Kidanto H. Presented PAS 2015
- CUSUM statistical process control method can be used to continuously monitor the impact of health interventions and management on neonatal mortality rate. Mduma E, Ersdal H, Kvaløy J, Søreide E, Mdoe P, Perlman J, Kidanto H, Svensen E. Accepted PAS 2015 and Globvac 2015.
- Novel resuscitation bag and mask provide PEEP in a newborn manikin. Thallinger M, Ersdal H, Purington C, Gomo Ø, Eilevstjønn J, Morley C, Størdal K. Presented PAS 2015 and Globvac 2015.
- Novel newborn resuscitator gives significantly less mask leakage on a manikin model. Thallinger M, Ersdal H, Størdal K. Presented PAS 2015 and Globvac 2015.
- Neonatal heart rate in the first minutes of life measured with novel dry electrodes heart rate measurement technology. Linde JE, Eilevstjønn J, Francis F, Perlman J, Ersdal HL. Presented PAS and Globvac 2015.
- Quality of Partogram recordings and perinatal outcomes at Muhimbili National Hospital Tanzania. Mdoe P, Masawe S, Kidanto H, Mduma E, Ersdal H. Presented Globvac 2015
Not to mention that during the Norwegian Researchers Grand Prix, Huyen Vu and Dr. Monica Thallinger were participating and Dr. Thalling got all the way to the finals presenting her randomized study on the Upright Bag and Mask vs. Simplified Resuscitator.